15 April 1944, the Ground Echelon was separated from the Flight Echelon and proceeded to Camp Stoneman, California. (per Special Order No. 41, Headquarters, 2121st AAF Base Unit, Keesler Field, Mississippi, and Flight Roster1 and Ground Roster1, both dated 11 April 1944) First Lieutenant Eugene J. Regan, A. S. N. 0-567017, was appointed acting Commanding Officer of the Ground Echelon and 1st Lt. William H. Harves, A. S. N. 0-574908 was placed on Temporary Duty and directed to report to Fort Mason, California to prepare the way for the Squadron's departure from the Continental United States. (Squadron Order No. 4 was later amended per Special Order No. 61 Headquarters, 2121st AAF Base Unit, Keesler Field, Mississippi, dated 15 April 1944)
Click on the photo to enlarge it
  The S.S. Roseville, the ship that transported the bulk of the
Second Emergency from San Francisco to New Guinea in 1944
Entrain until the 20 April 1944, the single occurrence was an attack of appendicitis to Corporal Bill Glover, A. S. N. 14152576, who was removed from the train at Mexico City, Missouri and taken to a hospital. Upon arrival at Camp Stoneman, final staging procedures were begun. A replacement from the Casual Headquarters at Camp Stoneman was assigned and joined to replace Corporal Glover bringing the Ground Echelon strength back to its full quota. The Squadron departed from Camp Stoneman on the 29 April 1944 and proceeded to the Port of Oakland, California where they boarded the S/S Roseville, (view the  passenger list1) and the following day, 30 April 1944, at 1430, twenty one (21) Officers and one hundred and sixty nine (169) Enlisted Men departed Continental United States for overseas assignment. (Per Special Order No. 171, Headquarters, 2121st AAF Base Unit, dated 26 April 1944)
        Sea sickness was prevalent among the Officers and enlisted men alike for the first few days but upon finding their Sea Leg's, life aboard ship settled down to a matter of routine. On the 10 May 1944, the ship crossed the Equator at which time King Neptune held Court and the majority of the squadron personnel were initiated into the Order of Shellbacks. This occasion caused a considerable boost in morale and highlighted the trip. The International Date Line was crossed on the 18 May 1944. The ship arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea at 1800 on the 26 May 1944. The ship next arrived at APO 503,
(Oro Bay, New Guinea2) on the 29 May 1944 and here twenty-one (21) Officers and one hundred sixty eight (168) enlisted men disembarked, one (1) man being in the ship hospital and transferred to the Base Hospital upon arrival. On the 30 May 1944, Lieutenant Harves rejoined the organization. A copy of the passenger list for this movement is attached.

       The next few days were occupied with settling dow after which the Squadron was assigned Base details until such time as further orders for movement were received. (The flight echelon was enroute from the U.S. per Operations Order No. 149
1) Lieutenant Regan was placed on temporary duty at APO 713 (Lae - Base "E", New Guinea2) on the 30 June 1944 and in his stead, First Lieutenant Kenneth O. Eddins, A.S.N. 0-567988, assumed command of the organization.

Download the April '44 thru June '44 history on .pdf


Text in gray is not official and is used to clarify or add additional information.

Official Squadron rosters, orders, or documents obtained from the microfilm - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
APO numbers from "Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations" - 7th Edition - by Russ Carter
3 From Individual Aircraft Record Cards - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama


DEC'43 - APR 15, '44 | APR 16, '44 - JUN'44 | JUL'44 | AUG'44 | SEP'44 | OCT'44 | NOV'44 | DEC'44 | SUMMARY 1944
JAN'45 | FEB'45 | MAR'45 | APR'45 | MAY'45 | JUN'45 | JUL'45 | AUG'45 | SEP'45 | OCT'45 | NOV'45 | DEC'45
Quarterly Medical History | 5230th Organizational History | History of Air Sea Rescue | "Dumbo" Missions



2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron -  All Rights Reserved