On the 2 August 1944, the destination of Flight "C"1 was changed from APO 322, (Milne Bay, New Guinea2) to APO 713 #1 (Nadzab, New Guinea2) and the advanced echelon of this flight departed from APO 503. (Oro Bay, New Guinea2) The balance of personnel left at APO 503 were not fully disposed of until the 27th of August 1944, at which time the rear echelon of Flight "C" departed. All members of this squadron were transported by air. Due to the lack of aircraft in the immediate area, this movement required several weeks to be completed.
       At APO 920
(Biak Island2) operations were in full swing. On the 10 August 1944, Major Dwight F. Lewis, ASN 0-373823, enroute from the United States rejoined the organization and resumed command. Planes operating from this station were flying in strikes over the Halmahera Islands, the Celebes and the Philippines. One hundred and six missions (106) totaling eight hundred and thirty seven hours (837) were flown by the six planes assigned to the two flights assigned at this station. The average length of the time required for a mission was eight (8) hours. No combat losses were experienced during this period. A roster of aircrews is attached.
On the 19 August 1944, Major Lewis, commanding officer, was placed in Temporary Duty and Captain Benjamin B. Mathis, ASN 0-412178, assumed command of the organization. On the 22 August 1944 1st Lt. Eugene J. Regan, ASN 0-576017, Adjutant, was relieved from assignment to this organization and 1st Lt. Kenneth O. Eddins, ASN 0-576988, was appointed Adjutant.
On the ground, building the squadron area and improving the conditions for work on the line became a full time job. During the day when the ships were flying, all of the men worked with a will towards having the best area at the station. In the evening when the ships had returned from their missions, maintenance work was completed. Due to the lack of OA-10A aircraft in this area, parts that were worn or defective had to be requisitioned from the Navy or replaced by sending the ship to the depot in Australia. Ships that were sent to the depot were a loss for from two (2) to six (6) weeks and placed an added burden on the ships left flying.
On the 23 August 1944, this Squadron was relieved from assignment to the Fifth Air Force and assigned to the V Bomber Command per paragraph 2, General Order #420, Headquarters, Fifth Air Force, dated 23 August 1944. This order was classified "Secret" and is not available, at the present time, for the transmittal with this history. [This order does not exist in the US Air Force Archives]
       The total gain for this period was thirty-three (33) Enlisted Men and twenty-one (21) Officers. This gain was due mainly to the transfer of personnel from the Air-sea Rescue organization that was already in operation in the area. Four (4) aircraft were also assigned through this transfer bringing the total number of aircraft in this Squadron to sixteen (16).

[Also on the 23 August the ground eschelon arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea on the S/S Roseville from the United States. See the ship's log1 that shows the voyage.]

Download the History for August 1944 on .pdf  
Download the Rescues for August 1944 on .pdf  


 Text in gray is not official and is used to clarify or add additional information.

1 From Squadron microfilm obtained from Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
APO numbers from "Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations" - 7th Edition - by Russ Carter
3 From Individual Aircraft Record Cards - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama



DEC'43 - APR 15, '44 | APR 16, '44 - JUN'44 | JUL'44 | AUG'44 | SEP'44 | OCT'44 | NOV'44 | DEC'44 | SUMMARY 1944
JAN'45 | FEB'45 | MAR'45 | APR'45 | MAY'45 | JUN'45 | JUL'45 | AUG'45 | SEP'45 | OCT'45 | NOV'45 | DEC'45
Quarterly Medical History | 5230th Organizational History | History of Air Sea Rescue | "Dumbo" Missions


2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron -  All Rights Reserved