The big news of the month was that Japan had agreed to adopt the peace terms as laid down by the alliance and - - THE WAR WAS OVER! Of course arrangements for the official surrender had to be planned and carried out but for all intents and purposes the actual firing was over. No more “sweating out” air raids in the foxholes, no more missions where enemy fire was probable and expected! The original false rumor of Japan’s capitulation caused quite a bit of hilarity and excitement. The announcement was made during the middle of the picture show in the Squadron Area and the show itself was completely forgotten. Everybody was whooping and hollering and guns were going off like firecrackers. Fortunately no one was injured and when it was found that all of it was unconfirmed rumor things quieted down to normal. In order to preclude any possibility of any one receiving an injury when the surrender was officially confirmed all men were ordered to turn in all their fire arms to Squadron Supply and they were kept there until the day after President Truman’s announcement of the acceptance of the peace terms by Japan. The official announcement came as some what of an anti-climax and most of the men were concerned in discussing the procedure the Army would use for returning men to the States how much longer each individual would have to remain over here. Rumors were a dime a dozen and you had a wide variety of choices from which to pick the hard cold facts still had to be faced that the War Department was still making the rules and those were the ones that would govern.

      The quote for enlisted men with over the critical 85 points for the month was quite low and only ten men were transferred to the Replacement Battalion under this system. However, combat crews who had completed their required hours prior to the cessation of hostilities continued to return to the States under the provisions of W.D. Circular 372, 1944 and during this month eight Officers and nine Enlisted Men were returned to the States under provisions of the above mentioned Circular. Missions decreased appreciably due to the end of the war however, eight men were rescued during the month bringing our grand total to five hundred and fifty six (556) men rescued from the time the Squadron started operations in July 1944 until the end of the war.

      On 2nd August orders were received sending four (4) Catalina’s and two (2)B-17’s with crews plus thirty-two ground / maintenance men to Clark Field, Manila in order to give a wide spread of coverage in rescue work. On 23 August 1945 warning orders were received to be prepared to load Headquarters and Flight A in LST’s for permanent move of the Squadron to Clark Field. An advance detail consisting of two Officers and eight Enlisted men were sent forward to prepare the new area for occupancy. When the LST’s arrived it was discovered that there was not enough space available to transport all the equipment and troops and it was decided by XIII Bomber Command, who was in control of the movement of all Air Corps Units from Morotai that only the heavy equipment which could not be transported by air would go by water and that the personnel and airborne equipment would be moved by air.

      Due to the need for all available aircraft to transport troops and supplies into Japan for the occupation no definite date as to when plans would be available could be given. The Squadron has been using its own C-47’s to carry equipment and a few personnel up on an every other day schedule. Due to unforeseen circumstances no definite area at Clark Field had been assigned to the Squadron and the end of the month found things somewhat jumbled up. A few personnel and quite a bit of the airborne equipment was at Clark Field, the heavy equipment was en route by water and the majority of personnel plus some equipment was still here at Morotai.

[Squadron members were awarded the Silver Star and - The Squadron was awarded the Battle Participation Credit (Star on the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal) for the Western Pacific Campaign,

GENERAL ORDERS No. 17891 HQ, Far East Air Forces, 08 August 1945
GENERAL ORDERS No. 1381   HQ, Far East Air Forces, 28 August 1945

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This report was copied verbatim from the "Official" Squadron History that was obtained via microfilm from Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama. The text that is in brackets [ ], I added to clarify the information. It is not Official. Some documents are original and some are reproductions.

1 Official Squadron rosters, orders, or documents obtained from the microfilm - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
APO numbers from "Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations" - 7th Edition - by Russ Carter
3 From Individual Aircraft Record Cards - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama


DEC'43 - APR 15, '44 | APR 16, '44 - JUN'44 | JUL'44 | AUG'44 | SEP'44 | OCT'44 | NOV'44 | DEC'44
JAN'45 | FEB'45 | MAR'45 | APR'45 | MAY'45 | JUN'45 | JUL'45 | AUG'45 | SEP'45 | OCT'45 | NOV'45 | DEC'45
SUMMARY 1944 | 5230th Organizational History |

2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron -  All Rights Reserved