With the complete squadron at last, all problems were rapidly being ironed out. Since the beginning of operations, valuable experience had been gained and it was now being applied. Theories formed in the training period, were being discarded and reformed where practical experience proved their value. Crew's began flying a regular schedule thus relieving the nervous tension brought about by flying too often and too much. A quiet and sure confidence began invading the men as the successful operations continued. Although the peak of efficiency had not yet been reached, the march toward it was sure and steady.
On the 5th of September a total of eight (8) enlisted men were transferred to the 266th Replacement Bn at APO 322. (Milne Bay, New Guinea2) These men, members of the former Air-sea Rescue Organization operating in this area, were the first in this organization to return to the United States. Major Lewis resumed command of the Squadron upon his return from temporary duty, 7 September 1944. 8 September 1944, orders were received transferring "C" Flight1 from APO 713 #1 (Oro Bay, New Guinea2) to APO 159 (Sansapor, New Guinea2) and the movement was completed on this same day. Due to a misunderstanding as to the allocation of areas, the three flights at APO 920 (Biak Island) were forced to move to a new area.
       Once again the problem of building with limited equipment presented itself. On the 22 September the first case of malaria was detected and immediately steps were taken to insure that all precautionary measures were being used by the members of this organization. Major Donald D. Corlett, ASN 0-238482, the senior Flight Surgeon, prescribed a regular course of lectures and talks to aid in this drive. This organization was transferred from the Fifth Bomber Command to the Thirteenth Air Force on the 23 September 1944 per
General Order No. 2391, paragraph #3, Headquarters, Far East Air Forces, dated 23 September 1944. From the 23 September to the 30 September all of the planes but two (2) were transferred from APO 920 (Biak Island2) to APO 159. (Sansapor, New Guinea2) This was accomplished because APO 159 was nearer the scene of operations and because warning orders for movement had been received for the three (3) flights at APO 920. The total loss of personnel for this period was eleven (11) enlisted men.

Due to a mix-up in the initial assignment of areas at Biak it was necessary for the squadron to evacuate its campsite on 20 September 1944 and set up a completely new area about three quarters of a mile down the beach. This wasn't so good for the morale of the men because they had gone to all the trouble of making frameworks for their tents, improving the area and building a volley ball court. However, nothing could be done but move, and everyone took it in good spirit. All this moving was accomplished without ceasing actual operations. On 8 September 1944, flights "B" from Hollandia, and "C" from Nadzab were consolidated and transferred to Middleburg Island right off the tip of Dutch New Guinea. This was done in order that better coverage could be given to bombardment squadrons on their strikes on the Celebes, Borneo, Halmaheras, and Morotai. The squadron was steadily making a name for itself and the number of rescues was mounting daily. On 10 October 1944, "Headquarters", "A" and "D" flights bypassed "B" and "C" flights which remained at Middleburg Island, and moved up to Morotai to cover strikes on Palau and the Philippines as well as Ceram, Celebes, and Borneo.4

A total of 162 missions were flown during this period totaling 1,540 flying hours. Rescues made during this period are as follows:


Download printable rescues1 for the month of September 1944.


Text in gray is not official and is used to clarify or add additional information.

1 From Squadron microfilm obtained from Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
APO numbers from "Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations" - 7th Edition - by Russ Carter
3 From Individual Aircraft Record Cards - Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama

4 This information came from a consolidated summary of 1944 prepared by squadron Clerk, T Sgt. Colin MacEachern

DEC'43 - APR 15, '44 | APR 16, '44 - JUN'44 | JUL'44 | AUG'44 | SEP'44 | OCT'44 | NOV'44 | DEC'44
JAN'45 | FEB'45 | MAR'45 | APR'45 | MAY'45 | JUN'45 | JUL'45 | AUG'45 | SEP'45 | OCT'45 | NOV'45 | DEC'45

SUMMARY 1944 | 5230th Organizational History | History of Air Sea Rescue | "Dumbo" Missions

2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron -  All Rights Reserved